Monday 16 January 2012

STAYING FIT DURING THE WINTER MONTHS


When winter arrives, one of the first questions that comes to mind is how to stay fit when it’s -20 Degrees outside. It is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and exercise every day.

However for some people winter is an absolutely break from the gym or anything that involves exercising. And this is a mistake many Canadians make when instead they should be preparing themselves for the upcoming summer.

Some people think the only way to exercise is to go to the gym, but there are many things a person can do to stay fit. During the winter months, people make the excuse that because its cold and snowing they rather stay home, but while at home you can use that extra time to make a routine of different exercises that can be performed everyday.

Lisa La Mantia is a high school dance teacher, but even with her tight schedule, she makes sure she dedicates time to herself, to feel and look better; and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is her first priority.

“First, let me start by saying there is no one in the world that hates winter more than me. It’s painful to me, not just uncomfortable, painful. I feel it in my bones. I have Mediterranean blood and after 30 years of Canadian winters I still am not used to it. I do not like to go outside in the winter if I don’t have to, and I know how difficult it is to get out of bed early on dark cold mornings and go to the gym.  For this reason I set up a small space in my basement, with an exercise mat, medicine ball and some hand weights, anywhere from 5 – 10 pounds.   It makes it easier to start my day off this way because I don’t need to leave the house and go out into the cold until after my workout and shower when I am feeling energized and able to tackle the day.”

And so you may be wondering what exercises can we do at home. It’s like going to the gym; you can do the same thing with just a few tools.


“I am traditionally a cardio person. I love to move around a lot and feel the blood pumping, however recently I have come to recognize the importance of strength training to keep my body strong and able to sustain the work I put it through.
For me I have found interval training the best. It combines cardio exercises with strength training in small minute to two-minute intervals.  I really like that idea because I don’t have to count reps or anything. I just do as many controlled exercises as I can do in the time frame. It is great to see your endurance and strength build up over time.”

Most dancers and athletes cannot afford to let the winter months take their toll because exercising is part of their lives. And yes there is the temptation to sit on the couch under a blanket, or stay nestled in bed but maintaining a good exercise and nutrition routine even if you are not a professional dancer or athlete is very important. You are not only developing a stronger body but you are becoming healthier in every single aspect and the result is a happier life.







No comments:

Post a Comment